Scandisk or Defrag Affects Monitor

  • To: r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Scandisk or Defrag Affects Monitor
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 03:58:41 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 03:59:26 +0100

[Harvey]

I am not having any problems and have been trouble free for a while now.
There is one small thing. I like to run a Thorough Scan Disk and a
Defrag at least once a month. It takes abut 9 hours to complete.When it
stopped working for me, I went to Safe Mode and was able to do it from
there. However, in my last 2 attempts from Safe Mode, my Monitor (after
3 hours) goes to a tri-color and I have nothing else. Doing a manual
shut down and restart brings the screen and the computer back to normal.
I went to Control Panel, Power, and I do not see any irregularities
there.. so any ideas?

[Roy]

Scan Disk is supposed to work under safe mode. Being able to run it in
normal mode is rare. I use Windows 98 on my laptop so I know this for a
fact.

Run defrag overnight (while you are asleep). Once a month might be too
frequent. Once in 3 or 6 months sounds more reasonable.

Lastly, I would not worry about the monitor. It is probably just some
malfunction with energy saving. You can still manage to complete the
maintenance tasks (which in Linux are never even necessary).

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com