Re: KDE Root Console

  • To: Roy <roy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: KDE Root Console
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:45:09 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:47:15 +0100

Anon wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> You wrote:
>>
>>> I have decided to make a dual boot system on my desktop PC as I have a
>>> large hard disk. I have partitioned this into an 83Gb drive for Win XP
>>> with the NTFS format and made another clean partition of 63Gb for the
>>> Linux installation (with the Fat32 format)
>>>
>>> I will be downloading a Kunbutu 5.04 install image tonight to burn to CD
>>> and then hope to install to the second partition tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Is this likely to be complicated or straightforward? I have never setup
>>> a 'dual boot' before but would like to think that I 'know my way around'
>>> a computer. I have a full up to date backups of both PC's (laptop &
>>> desktop) on a separate external HD.
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I suggested that you go ahead with KDE (Kubuntu) even _before_ I saw your
>> message. I suggest that you try to install Linux first. Windows might be
>> reluctant to let a second operating system reside on the same computer
>> (it will
>> want to take _all_ the HDD space to eliminate the competition). Either
>> way,
>> Linux installers are quite mature and they should probably identify both
>> partitions and ask you which one you would like to install Linux on.
>>
> Did not go tooo bad   ;-|    a bit of head scratching when in the
> 'format' mode as there were too many choices.
> Fat32 (which it was) LinuxEx2 LinuxEx3 (or was it 4) anyway  ..........
>
> I formatted a 42Gb LinuxEx2 and a 2Gb Linux Swap (I have 1 Gb memory
> ..... and read somewhere 2x for the swap)
>
> Chose Grub as the Boot Loader and loaded it into the MBR
>
> All works fine ...... both systems duel boot/ load up and work fine (so
> far) BUT
> back to my original. It has only loaded the default screen resolution of
> 640x480 with no alternative in the 'settings'
>
> I have tried to follow your instructions but not able to find Root
> Console or Root Terminal as you describe.
>
> I can access 'Kterminal' but unfortunately do not understand the
> 'syntax' for the various commands or indeed the file structure and where
> to find XF86Config-4 to edit it.
>
> I was / am pretty au fau (Oh Fay) with DOS commands but this is somewhat
> different.
>
> I can get to root by typing;  /root    But stuck from there ........
>
> For example dir would give a directory listing in DOS ... all I get here
> are error commands. obviously because the syntax is wrong.
>
> / @*&%^^&))  /FKin Thing

Hi

Don't despair. Like anything in life, it takes experience to get the
full benefits from a much-needed change.

You are using KDE now, not Gnome.

Go to the launcher (applications icon, much like "Start" in Windows)

Look under:

System -> Shells -> Root Bash

The path may vary, but you need root 'something'.

The rest should be the same as before...

dir is equivalent to ls in Linux

Try typing in 'ls'

Now... follow through to the directories as before. This might be

cd /etc/X11

kedit XF86Config   (note kedit for KDE)

Don't hesitate to play about with things as it will help you get some
familiarity...

The X configuration script I use in KDE is:

http://www.schestowitz.com/Data/XF86Config

I hope it makes sense, but I believe my previous set of instructions
will be valid too.