Re: How to make a unique cover (first page)

  • To: lyx-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: How to make a unique cover (first page)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:56:31 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:56:33 +0100
On Sun 21 Aug 2005 15:35:19 BST, Leon Chen wrote:

Hi all,

I joined the mail list just now and send the question.
I am writing my Master dissertation, and choose lyx because it is great.

Have a question:

How can I make a unique cover page? For example, I have to make it
according to the specification our college demmanded. The formats
available in the lyx are not enough to make it... such as some text
have to be aligned to bottom and write my name. And the margin is
different to the contents inside the paper. Also, maybe there is no
space for binding at the first page, as well as the page number...

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I'd so appreciated if anyone can
help me. Thank you very much.

Leon

When very particular placements are imposed, there are no simple solutions. The
What You See Is What You Get paradigm is powerful when it comes to pulling
things together in this way. Then again, WYSIWYG also means that you then lose
structure, semantics, etc.

Another alternative you have is to type in standard text, using CTRL[1]+ENTER to
force new lines and CTRL+SPACE to indent. You can then go to the menu called
Character and hand-tweak the size of text that you are dealing with.

If the two solutions above do not suit you (the latter can be time-consuming due
to a compile-and-view cycle), consider working on a cover page /image/ under
some decent graphical toolkit like the GIMP, Paintshop, Photoshop and the like
(not MSPaint). Once done, add the resulting image to page 1. Make sure you keep
the source (non-lossy) image as you may need to change the text later.

[1] Not sure about the Mac.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com