Re: [wp-hackers] 1.5.2 or on to 1.6?

  • To: wp-hackers@lists.automattic.com
  • Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] 1.5.2 or on to 1.6?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 04:14:42 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 22 May 2005 04:14:46 +0100
Quoting Chetan Kunte:

Mike's idea seems excellent. As a generic non-coder, I don't grasp
much of the discussion, but I do understand the need towards subtle,
yet distinctive usability features (especially some colors preferred
in the menu) would really do wonders for the less-techy inclined or
non-techy users that just want to use the software.

Chetan's point reminds me of the potential in pure-CSS cascading menus at the top of the dashboard. Not only is it quicker to use, but also it is more natural to amateur users who perceive menus this way. Regarding compatibility, with all the forms and advanced CSS, one can assume that the dashboard is used within a rich browsing environment.

You'll be
surprised to know how many generic users actually choose a software by
just looking at the screenshots. Stupid as it may seem, but a lot of
them do, and that includes me.

Everybody does, but some are reluctant to admit it. That's what the Internet allows you to do.

Remember the days when you went to the shop to buy some nice quest? What would
you do first? Flip the package over and watch the 'screenshots'.

Dashboard could avoid news tiling (that takes much space) and instead
look like miniposts.

It probably should be customisable. Never decide for a reader what he/she supposedly wants to read.

It would be nice if it is possible to add the "increase writing space
area" for textarea for writing posts, similar to those that we've seen
for comment boxes.

In both cases, it is probably better to have a large textarea and avoid the extra widget.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com