Re: [GUG] Gimp version

  • To: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [GUG] Gimp version
  • From: The Digital Pioneer <digitalpioneer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 08:26:18 -0600
  • Cc: gug@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 14:26:28 +0000
I use 2.2.9, and I believe that is the latest version.

If you find a file called *.tar.gz, you don't want it. It is a source code
package; and unless you have Linux, you probably can't compile it. I know I
can't.

I don't know to what depth you wanted information on tarballs, but I'll go a
little into the science of them that I know personally.

A tarball is a file of files, basically. Somewhat like a zip file, but
bigger. Tarballs are simple concatencation. Then just put a bunch of files
together into 'a big ball of files' or a tarball. Tarballs have the
extension .tar.

.gz files are a little different... .gz is actual compression. It makes the
output file smaller. I don't know why they don't just make a .zip file and
be done with it... Maybe Linux doesn't support that. But, in conclusion,
.tar.gz is a group of files concatencated and compressed. You can bet that
that is a source code whenever you see it. There MAY BE exceptions, but
that's what I've observed.

Now, I know all about the maze thing... I go through it about everytime I
get a newer version of GIMP. I think I've got it now... Anyways, I'm going
to take you straight to the end. The link provided is to a page on
Sourceforge.net <http://Sourceforge.net> containing the download mirrors of
GIMP. I ususally just pick one close to me (in the US... LOL) and go with
it. Anyways, just click one of the mirrors, and a download should start in a
few seconds. GL!

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gimp-2.2.9-i586-setup.zip?download

That link is the place to go for 2.2.9. Once again, GL!