Re: [wp-hackers] Memcached backend for the Object Cache

  • To: wp-hackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Memcached backend for the Object Cache
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 03:39:12 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 03:39:14 +0000
_____/ On Tue 20 Dec 2005 03:19:45 GMT, [Owen Winkler] wrote : \_____

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Disable disk cache (or empty its directory), then make multiple requests
(isolated from the public) and view the log if you have root access.

You could possibly test this without root privileges:

That kind of defeats the purpose all-around, though, doesn't it? I mean, I'd have to install a script that puts shell access to my server on the web, which sounds just a tad insecure. But I can't do this on the live shared server because that could upset others.

You could use boolean function for some investigation, e.g.

 function _connect_sock (&$sock, $host, $timeout)

 function get_sock ($key)

It needs some spare time though. Perhaps a front-end to caching (or at least a
status windows) in the dashboard is worthwhile? It could confuse users, but is
about as user-friendly as status at the bottom left of cPanel.

In any case...

I don't want to know if performance is increased, I want to know if the new caching is being used. Does memcache failover to disk-based caching? If so, how do I determine if the memcache cache replacement is working or the built-in stuff?

Possibility:

* Flush <wp-install>/wp-content/cache/

* Run some queries (page requests)

* See if <wp-install>/wp-content/cache/ is re-accommodated