WordPress and rel="nofollow"

  • To: Roy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WordPress and rel="nofollow"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:27:12 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 03:24:40 +0100

On 02/09/05 19:55, you wrote:
> Just getting back to this thought process... happened to get a comment
> on my site, which is rare, but the guy's site is obviously another tech
> blog.  I'd rather not 'lose energy' when I don't need to, so I probably
> should add nofollow code into the comment output... hmmm.

I would advice against that. It discourages involvement, annuls links of
previous commenters and the loss to is rather small anyway. In any given
page you may have ~30 links. If only 1 them is external, we're talking
peanuts here. When I mentioned adding rel="nofollow" I was referring to
site pages that were clearly just appended unnecessarily. I blocked 400
such pages yesterday.

> What's the problem with having a lot of objects indexed?  You mean
> duplication of your main content?  I'd think you'd want to just tell the
> bots not to go fishing around the RSS stuff.

That becomes more of an issue when you have 1/2-item RSS feeds. I didn't
block the indexing of RSS objects altogether, but it might be
worthwhile. I think (nobody knows) that excessive use of rel="nofollow"
raises a red flag. I use it with caution.

> I'll have to take a look at searchstatus -- now that my Adsense numbers
> are actually projecting out better, I want to continue to revamp the
> site as I plug in more (and newer!) content. ;)

I wish you the best of luck. If you want to continue this discussion,
please do. There are few people who ever check how their sites get
indexed, which is a shame. Until not long ago, Google gave me ~700
visitors a day, primarily due to other sections of my site. Nonetheless,
I know the difference Google can make if the structure of pages is clean
and the titles are short and straight-to-the-point (e.g. NOT "Google
Sitemap is so cool so I told all my friends about it" -- as a page title
that is).

Roy

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz      | make install -not war
  2:25am  up 9 days 15:33,  3 users,  load average: 0.87, 0.44, 0.28