Keeping 2 PDA's in Sync

  • To: r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Keeping 2 PDA's in Sync
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 06:41:38 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 06:42:03 +0100

On 03/09/05 21:48, you wrote:
> I have a similar question, but I am trying to figure out how to keep
> two different PDAs in sync. From your reply to this message, I am
> hoping you either have a suggestion or you are going to tell me it
> can't be done. I am mainly concerned with keeping the calendar in sync.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi,

Sorry it has taken me a while to reply. That E-mail account your used to
contact me on is plagued with spam.

To keep two separate PDA's in sync. there is a lot of careful work to be
done and a strict regime of synchronisation. First of all, I believe you
must never change data on both PDA's at the same time, unless you have
synchronised both with the desktop (the 'communicator') frequently
enough. Any change that is made on one PDA, must be informed of to the
Desktop and then passed to the second PDA, otherwise you risk conflicts.

Here are the situations you need to be careful about:

- -PDA1 records an event, then saves it on the desktop which in turn
transfers it to PDA2. If the event is changed on PDA2 and PDA1 at the
same time, this might leads to problems.

- -PDA1 records on event, which reaches PDA2, gets changed on PDA2 but
remains unchanged on PDA1.

The best advice would be to synchrnonise both PDA's very frequently and
wait for the error logs to come up. Hopefully none will ever come up.
You might also find the infra-red port (beaming) useful.

Hope it helps,
Roy

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz
  6:25am  up 12 days 15:45,  5 users,  load average: 1.40, 1.32, 1.11