Re: "open" for Unix.

  • To: lyx-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: "open" for Unix.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 03:53:22 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 03:53:25 +0100
_____/ On Sun 11 Sep 2005 01:14:55 BST, [Mike Meyer] wrote : \_____

Based on discussion regarding the configuration process on lyx-devel,
I started working on a generic "file opener" for Unix, ala "open" on
OS X and "start" on Windows. A first release is ready. I've tested it
on a number of different things, including using it to launch all my
viewers from LyX.

You can get it from <URL: http://www.mired.org/downloads/open-0.1.tgz
. I'd appreciate comments and feedback.

<mike -- Mike Meyer <mwm@xxxxxxxxx> http://www.mired.org/consulting.html Independent Network/Unix/Perforce consultant, email for more information.

I beg you to pardon my ignorance, but what should I, as a LyX end-user, be doing
with the Python file? Don't get me wrong, I think it is a wonderful
contribution. Is that aimed primarily at developers, for inclusion in future
releases of LyX perhaps?

roy@BAINE:~/Desktop/open-0.1> python open.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "open.py", line 19, in ?
   from subprocess import Popen
ImportError: No module named subprocess

Perhaps I should look at the instructions you wrote more carefully. I will do so
shortly, as a matter fact. The archive is apparently badly structured, with 2
directories called open-0.1 at the top level (maybe a bug which is at /my/
end?) and two ./CVS in each.

Many thanks,

Roy S. Schestowitz
 1:40am  up 17 days  2:11,  3 users,  load average: 2.47, 1.73, 1.57