Re: [spam-stopper] Long-term plans

  • To: spam-stopper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [spam-stopper] Long-term plans
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:58:48 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:58:50 +0100
_____/ On Tue 20 Sep 2005 08:09:52 BST, [Matt Mullenweg] wrote : \_____

I have just noticed automattic.com. I never realised it was there until I looked
at the code... registered with GoDaddy.com and already some very descent status!
The domain name is an excellent one (very catchy) and I was surprised it hadn't
been taken.

Assuming this whole things works, and we don't know if it will yet, I'm still figuring out how to make it self-sustaining in the long term.

I am sure that many people will voluntarily donate a pittance, especially
bearing in mind what a hassle the project saves them from.

The obvious answer is to have it be a paid-only service, so all costs are covered from the beginning, but I really feel like the web needs serious help with comment spam, and charging for basic protection isn't going to make the web a better place.

I would be more comfortable with something where it was free for regular people, and only businesses or enterprises paid (enough to support everybody).

I was thinking along the same lines. BSD springs to mind.

There may be "keys" or accounts at some point to prevent abuse.

However the plugin and API are designed to be pretty easy to recreate, so if someone wanted to run their own spam service they could easily.

You mean "anti-spam", right? *smile*

API's that are too open would also allow the (more cunning among the) spammers
to shrewdly prepare spam that penetrates. Be careful. For the same reasons
(among others, e.g. competition), big G will not reveal their special recipe.
SEO's can really muck up the SERP's as one /recent/ story shows <
http://tinyurl.com/crswj >.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
11:50am  up 26 days  0:04,  4 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.22, 0.25