Re: [wp-hackers] SOS (Formerly 'Referrer Spam')

_____/ On Wed 12 Oct 2005 10:43:01 BST, [Amit Gupta] wrote : \_____

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/09/12/cpanel-terminal-hack/
|  >

my host doesn't provide it either, but I know some hosts that do on
special request, & I've been considering them for sometime now, not for
SSH access ofcourse as its all greek to me!! ;)

Getting back on topic, the scale of the attacks is beginning to become scary,
not just worrying. As I said at the start, it continues to grow by the day
(nearing 2 weeks now) and it's reaching the point where I get tens of thousands
of page requests from a variety of UIP's. This still gets worse by the hour and
I am running out of bandwidth (although I re-directed to reduce it), not to
mention the speed penalty that the shared server is susceptible to.

These attacks can wind up costing hundreds of pounds, not to mention the time I
spend/t trying to stop them. I have no root access to the Web server. Any
suggestions? I would rather not tell the hosts and ignite some sort of
reputation of a trouble-maker.

Cheers,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "I think I think, therefore I think I am"
12:45pm  up 48 days  0:59,  3 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.51, 0.52