[linux-users] Apache Filter for Referrer

  • To: linux-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [linux-users] Apache Filter for Referrer
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 05:01:30 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 05:02:28 +0100
A site of mine is under heavy attacks by zombies world-wide and it has been
getting much worse recently and is today (yesterday?) reaching levels that put
my hosting provider in jeopardy.

Referral URL's seem to be the good criterion for a filter to sort out the mess.
I see about 50 referring URL's, all of them are from Tonga (*.to to match),
apart from a single German referral and one from Cocos Islands (no kidding).

New referring URL's continue to be added as we speak, but not too quickly.

How do I write something to have Apache kill all requests based on referring
URL? Could somebody please work out what I need to add to .htaccess in order to
block the spammers?

Please help,