Re: LyX and OpenDocument

  • To: lyx-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: LyX and OpenDocument
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 04:51:53 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 04:51:56 +0100
_____/ On Sat 15 Oct 2005 14:19:32 BST, [Daniel Qarras] wrote : \_____

Hi,

now that everybody's been talking about OpenDocument
format I was wondering are there any plans to add
OpenDocument format import and/or export support to
LyX? ...

I don't think it is possible in a respect where it is a rational step to take.
LyX is a semantics (structure semantics at least) editor, whereas WYSIWYG is
not naturally so because it is not restrictive enough. WYSIWYG is about
splicing bits into a piece of (usually A4) paper.

I am not saying that the task is impossible but trying to convert between
OpenDocument and LyX (i.e. reverse) is like trying to convert cheese into
whipped cream. Both are fine milk product, but in order to make the conversion
you are better off starting with the milk, by creating well-formed documents
and carrying on with documents that are properly handled and re-constructed.

...Would it even be possible? Or should it be done
somewhere else, like in teTex?

Thanks.

I don't know teTex, I'm afraid.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
 4:40am  up 51 days 16:54,  5 users,  load average: 1.03, 0.87, 0.83