Re: [spam-stopper] Plain privacy terms

  • To: spam-stopper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [spam-stopper] Plain privacy terms
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 05:22:20 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 05:22:22 +0100
_____/ On Thu 27 Oct 2005 07:05:10 BST, [Matt Mullenweg] wrote : \_____

I'd be curious for feedback on these plain-english terms before I send it back to a lawyer:

http://akismet.com/privacy/

* New comments on your blog are submitted to the Akismet web service ^^^^^^^^^

Might want to change this to "(temporarily) viewable to Akismet (engine)"?
"Submitted" sounds as if comments might be published (mirrored). You might want
to stress that it's a bot, as opposed to a person that retains the comments.

* We are profoundly uninterested in reading your comments.

Negation can be misleading and "profoundly" might be a difficult word for those
whose English is poor.

* Stats about comment flow may be published.

Maybe add the word "global" at the start? Scrambling of stats leads to
obscurity.

* We collect server stats, API usage.

"We" -> "Akismet"? "We" sounds like people are directly involved.

I begin to ponder the use of more brute force by spammers. Let's remember that
higher bandwidth is made available in more locations and zombies are becoming a
plague since they are being used as proxies. I can observe over 1,000 zombie
attack on my site every day. Will the main sufferers of brute force spamming be
users without Akismet? The spammers need to produce a certain amount output
(links) so might take it up a notch, if needed to make ends meet.

Judging by the effect of rel="nofollow", it's reasonable to believe that
spammers might /not/ try harder. They probably feed the most on blogs that are
no longer maintained.

Roy S. Schestowitz
 4:15am  up 63 days 14:24,  5 users,  load average: 1.41, 1.52, 1.32