Re: Treo Internet Connection to Computer

  • To: Roy <bcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Treo Internet Connection to Computer
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 04:26:17 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 04:27:06 +0000

>>> i want to use the synck cable on my treo 650 to hook to my usb and
>>> use the
>>> computer to access the internet over the treo data plan with
>>> cingular.  I
>>> don't want to use it as a dialup modem, i want to brows the internet
>>> over
>>> the highspeed cingular data network.  How to i get winxp to do it?
>>

>> I think the following is what you are looking for:
>>
>> http://message-id.net/%3C43594c1a$0$3762$39cecf19@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx%3E
>>
>> It is a thread I was involved in a couple of months ago. There are
>> ways of
>> achieving that, namely use a Palm-established connection on your
>> desk/laptop. Follow the trail of replies.
>>
>> Roy
>
> is there another way than bying PDAnet?  The programs sounds like it
> would work, but frankly it is not worth 40 bucks.

Hi,

Sorry it has taken me a few days to response. That E-mail account is
plagued by spam, so I only check it periodically.

I was never too sure if the connection could be achieved until someone
mentioned that commercial product. Frankly, I agree with you. I never
pay for software because Open Source and Free Open Source solutions are
everywhere. Unfortunately, I can't offer anything more than speculations
because I am now aware of any free alternatives to PDAnet. I used to
think about propagation of the wireless signal, but I am not aware of
any utility that does that. While Palm stand idle, it seems as though
the hacker community ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_community )
is slowly moving to Linux-based PDA's like the Nokia 770, so maybe
that's something worth exploring in the future. It's all about Wi-Fi
with the Nokia.

Best wishes,

Roy

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
  4:20am  up 26 days 11:31,  12 users,  load average: 1.35, 1.11, 0.86