Re: eSys Machine and Graphics

  • To: Roy <roy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: eSys Machine and Graphics
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 05:18:08 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 05:22:10 +0000

Captain's log. We received a signal on StarDate 07/02/06 22:24.
Translated to English it stated:
> Hi Roy,
>
> Sorry to email you like this, but I came across your discussion
> http://www.schestowitz.com/Selected_Mail/2005/November_December_2005/msg0004
> 1.html when I was Googling for the same problems.
>
> Thanks to you I've now set OnChip c/w 8Mb, and was also wondering about the
> advertised 64Mb graphics.
>
> I should point out that I'm using Windows XP (sorry for swearing), but the
> machine is for my 12 year old daughter (I've got Action Pack licenses!).
>
> Once I had the machine up and running (should you ever try to load XP and
> have problems, LBA mode must be enabled in the BIOS!), I was sure the
> graphics was dead slow.
>
> It wasn't until I loaded the drivers on the "Motherboard" CD that came with
> the machine that I got any indication that it was a 64Mb graphics system
> (and I was able to increase the Refresh Rate and get rid of the damn
> headaches!)
>
> Of course, looking through the CD I fail to see any Linux drivers except for
> the LAN.
>
> Maybe they're lurking on the Net somewhere.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Best regards,

Hi Lance,

I very well remember these issues with setting up the eSys machines. I
have set up two such machines. The first time, the machine was
pre-installed with Mandrake, so all worked perfectly out of the box. The
second time, I recived SuSE CD's, but I needed to change video settings
in BIOS in order to take advantage of the card. It was something rather
simple that I have well-documened in text somewhere. Either way, I am
far beyonf satisfied with my current eSys machines and I urge more
people to have a look at it.

Assuming we are talking about the exact same machine (it sure sounds
like it), try the distributions I mentioned (I also tried Ubuntu with
success, not just Mandrake and SuSE). If you want me to see my BIOS
settings too, let me know. Once set correctly, Linux will recognise
everything wiithout any user intervention. No need for any drivers
either... for anything...

Best regards,

Roy

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz
  5:10am  up 22 days  0:26,  12 users,  load average: 1.12, 0.84, 0.50