Re: Background images

___/ On Fri 24 Mar 2006 13:57:08 GMT, [ Bruce Muirhead ] wrote : \___

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 11:06 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

___/ On Fri 24 Mar 2006 04:52:58 GMT, [ Bruce Muirhead ] wrote : \___

> I am interested to know if it is possible to create a document (PDF) in
> which there is a background image. That is, the text appears over a
> background image which may -or may not- cover the entrire page.
>
> I am thinking about the type of ebook created by such windows programmes
> such as exebook and ybookmaker.
>
> If this is possible, how would I go about doing it?
>
> Bruce

Hi,

Add the following to the Preamble:

\usepackage{eso-pic,graphicx}
\newcommand\BackgroundPicture[2]{%
   \setlength{\unitlength}{1pt}% default
   \put(0,\strip@pt\paperheight){%
     \parbox[t][\paperheight]{\paperwidth}{%
       \vfill
       \centering\includegraphics[angle=#2]{#1}
       \vfill
     }}}
\makeatother
\AddToShipoutPicture{\BackgroundPicture{<PICTURE_PATH>}{0}}

Put your image in <PICTURE_PATH> ("replace it with" rather). Encapsulated
PostScript should do. If you want a practical example (LyX file), please
just let me know. I use this for presentation slides in LyX.

Hope it helps,

Roy

Roy, thank you, that does exactly what I want except that nothing is simple. For some reason putting the background image in empties the TOC in the exported PDF. I tried ps2pdf , pdflatex and dvipdfm. The only one which failed t work at all was pdflatex (it claimed not to recognise the graphics file). Both ps2pdf and dvipdfm dropped the TOC.

I am using 1.4 on ubuntu. Is this likely to be a glitch in 1.4? Or
something else? (I will try it in 1.3.7 tomorrow!)

thanks again, and any further advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I was doing this in LyX 1.3.4 or 1.3.6. I was using this to produce slides,
so no experience with TOC collisions. I cannot think of a simple workaround
to your problem at the moment, I'm afraid.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    It is no longer uncommon to be uncommon
 4:05pm  up 16 days  8:42,  8 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.84, 0.75