Re: [wp-hackers] TinyMCE issues

  • To: wp-hackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] TinyMCE issues
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:35:47 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:35:51 +0100
___/ On Mon 12 Jun 2006 09:05:07 BST, [ Viper007Bond ] wrote : \___

So, I'm writing a plugin to make buttons to insert YouTube and Google
Video videos into your posts. I'm doing it via ButtonSnap and it
works fine for the non-WYSIWYG editor.

Be  very  careful  with these. Both YouTube and Google  Video  will  begin
crashing  Web  browsers  after  a while (been a victim  of  both),  having
'HotLinked'  for  a while, despite fair use. In the case of Google,  there
will  be  a  PageRank  depletion  (or a drop to 0),  as  well  as  ranking
penalties,  backlinks depletion and unhappy visitors whose browsers  crash
(even Konqueror) until the offensive code is removed. Some people seem to'
survive' the embedment of such videos, but I don't know how...

Oh! and ma will very be disappoint to see theat the object markup does not
validate! *smile* It is rarely (if ever) W3C standards-compliant.

Here's an example generated code snippet:

<object style="width: 425px; height: 350px"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
data="http://www.youtube.com/v/hl2UUunlI2Q";><param name="movie"
value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hl2UUunlI2Q"; /><param name="wmode"
value="transparent" /></object>

The problem is that when I put that into TinyMCE, it totally screws
it up by adding line breaks:

<object style="width: 425px; height: 350px"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
data="http://www.youtube.com/v/hl2UUunlI2Q";>
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hl2UUunlI2Q"; />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" /></object>

Before I resort to using a placeholder (like
[youtube]hl2UUunlI2Q[/youtube]) at least for TinyMCE, is there way I
can stop it from doing that? I just wanted to make this plugin a
button generator rather than a dynamic replacer. :/

I don't have a decent suggestion because I don't know TinyMCE's internals.
However,  if  your  use  a  JavaScript pop-up  to  prompt  for  URL  (e.g.
http://www.youtube.com/v/hl2UUunlI2Q  ),  try to wrap it with classes  and
put some of the remainder [style] attribute in an auxiliary stylesheet. It
might help in preventing the nasty newlines...?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"
 4:25pm  up 45 days 21:58,  10 users,  load average: 0.45, 0.67, 0.82