Re: [wp-hackers] Hello Noobie!

  • To: wp-hackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Hello Noobie!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:55:06 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:55:07 +0100
___/ On Thu 29 Jun 2006 09:02:06 BST, [ Andy Skelton ] wrote : \___

I don't mean to revive some old discussion about whether we should
remove Hello Dolly from core. Opinion on that will be off-topic on
this thread. Rather, I want to discuss an alternative set of lyrics.

I quite likd(d) Hello Dolly, but I must admit that it is/was
impractical.  It  serves/ed as a good template  for  plug-in
creators  nonetheless. We'll always have Matt's Jazz  Quotes
page, even if it gets dropped from the trunk distribution...

Replace the Broadway kitsch with WordPress tips for new users and
activate the plugin during installation. Benefits are too obvious to
list. If it buzzes in somebody's bonnet, deactivation is two clicks
away. Translation will spread the benefits even wider.

I'm  thinking  along the lines of balloons (tooltips).  This
seems to be the direction that KDE 3.4+ has taken; these can
be  disabled too. To match the beauty of CSS+JS in WP 2.0.x,
why  not  use MIT's nicetitles for translucent  popups  with
rounded corners?

I've started a wiki page to collect tips:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Tips

If this page fills up with short, helpful nuggets of advice or
information I'll remix the plugin and we can try it out on new users
by posting a download link in the forums.

People will rarely read manuals. Some like to embark on the unknown by doing prior reading, but most just learn by trial and error. So I think an assistive yet obtrusive tips are the best way to go.

Just my humble opinion,

Roy S. Schestowitz
12:45pm  up 62 days 17:48,  14 users,  load average: 0.45, 0.51, 0.32