Re: [wp-hackers] New Default Theme in 2.1?

___/ On Thu 21 Dec 2006 10:41:47 GMT, [ Matt Mullenweg ] wrote : \___

Jeremy Visser wrote:
I knew that. I'm just worried you'll create a new default theme, and
leave Kubrick's folder called 'default' for the sake of compatibility.

The way theme file fallback works many themes might be relying on Kubrick's PHP files being in default and not even realize it.

Yeah, in fact, Kubrick is the reason I first found out about WordPress.
At the time, the blog at http://whereswalden.com/ (specifically I was
linked to the post
<http://whereswalden.com/2005/02/25/firefox-prefwindowv/>) was running
Kubrick. Because it was the first time I'd seen that theme, I was
captivated, went to the WordPress link featured in the footer,
downloaded WordPress, and now I'm a WordPress user!

That's a pretty neat story, doubly so now that you're participating in WP development discussion.

Default themes play an hugely important role. Quick-and-dirty bloggers don't bother to changing them. At a certain point, visual identity become a force that restricts alternation. It was a pretty theme that had me download WordPress back in 2004. WordPress wasn't even a 'household name' at the time.

While Ballmer yells out "developeH^s, developeH^s, developeH^s", let's not forget that WordPress is beyond hackers. It's needs "designers, designers, designers". The theme contests are just as important as those template contests for OpenOffice.org.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU/Linux  |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
http://othellomaster.com >> GPL-licensed 3-D Othello