Re: [wp-hackers] Convert WP site into static content

  • To: wp-hackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Convert WP site into static content
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 05:20:41 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 05:20:45 +0100
___/ On Tue 03 Oct 2006 22:23:33 BST, [ Alan J Castonguay ] wrote : \___

Trevor Turk wrote:
I'm trying to convert an existing WP site I've got with many Pages (with
subpages, etc) into some kind of non-web format. I've seen some PDF
outputting plugins, but they don't seem to have a bulk one aside from this:
http://wp2pdf.sourceforge.net/. I'm wondering if anyone has used that?

I  have used it happily for over a year, but I suspect  that
it  /might/  not be fully compatible with 2.0.x. It  doesn't
appear to be maintained anymore (I tried to report some bugs
that I had fixed, to no avail). There are a few minor issues
like   restoration   from  MySQL  dumps,  which   may   drop
wp2pdf-specific  settings. Lastly, the nice thing about this
plugin/project  is  that  you can assemble  PDF's  in  large
batches    using   typical   filters/pseudo-'wildcards'   in
WordPress,  e.g. produce a document that contains all  posts
from September. This may suit you well.

The Staticize Reloaded plugin seems to be broken, and I haven't been able to
find anything else to fit this need.

So, if anyone has had to dump a WP site into static non-web content, please
speak up if you have any tips!

If you can produce PDFs of posts / pages via a plugin on demand, then wget or curl can easily handle the bulk processing.

You  can get a list of links (full URL's) to all your  posts
quite  easily.  I  would  personally  use  narchives.php  to
achieve  this although one SQL query might be enough.  Then,
put all the URL's, newline-separated in a file.

use wget in the following way:

wget -q  -erobots=off -i links_file.txt

Another approach (just a recursive crawl):

wget -q -r -nd -N -np -A.html -erobots=off http://example.org

Upload  file  to  server at end. They should  prevserve  the
directory  structure if you choose/set the right option (man
wget,   plenty of  stuff  there). To  avoid   breaking   old
(perma)links, careful attention and testing will be needed.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate in Medical Biophysics
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU/Linux  |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
http://othellomaster.com - GPL'd 3-D Othello