Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 05:37:39PM -0700, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > He also occasionally acts really nastily towards other people.

> In this thread, you've described Linus's behaviour/actions/comments as
> "really nasty" (above), "poisonous", "destructive",  "disappointing",
> "unhealthy", "aggressive[ly] contempt[uous]", "aggressively nasty",
> "hostile", "destructive to the community", "unacceptable treatment of
> human beings", and "globally unacceptable anywhere".

> At some point, doesn't that fall afoul of Debian's code of conduct?
> "In a project the size of Debian, inevitably there will be people with
> whom you may disagree, or find it difficult to cooperate. Accept that,
> but even so, remain respectful. Disagreement is no excuse for poor
> behaviour or personal attacks". You disagree with Linus, and find it
> difficult to cooperate with him -- you're not joining the kernel
> community any time soon, as a result. That's obviously fine. But at
> this point, it seems to me more like your descriptions of Linus's
> behaviour falls into the domain of "personal attacks" than
> particularly informative/productive discussion, no? [0]

I'm not sure if you're being facetious; condemning someone's
behavior/actions/comments is categorically *not* a personal attack (because
it is a criticism of the behavior and not of the person).  If you are
raising this as a serious question, then I have grave concerns about the
viability of our Code of Conduct.

This may no longer be a productive and informative discussion, but
legislating social best practice doesn't improve signal-to-noise either.  If
the CoC has replaced Policy as the stick to (not) hit people with, then
we're in big trouble as a project.

slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx