Re: Choice between 2

Dave wrote:

> I'm surprised, with the P4 2.8 being the mobile one with speed step etc...
> THe 3 Ghz appears to be a standard desktop processor.

I misread a small part -- the part about the memory. So let me correct
myself or at most give a more precise opinion.

The 2.8 Gigahertz machine might render graphics more badly and the best way
to get a good answer is to find out "what the hell the difference is
between the ATI9000 and the ATI9200". I do not know the answer and I do not
venture to guess.

Since the graphics card is rarely used at brute-force it should be generous
enough to return most of the 128MB it is allocated back to the 3 Gigahertz
CPU. Please ask this before you make a buy.

> Will be mainly office apps, but will do some 3d gaming too.

Think of the trade-off in time. Try to predict how much "gaming" you would
actually do.

> Maybe, but I was thinking that the 2.8 would have better battery life and
> may outperform the 3Ghz due to the dedicated graphics RAM and having the
> full 512Mb for apps.

See my first paragraph.

> Over the course of the years, more demanding
>> applications are made and if you can get the extra 64 MB of RAM, do so.
>
> Just to clarify... The 64Mb "dedicated graphics RAM" only comes with the
> P4 'mobile' 2.8 machine. The 3 Ghz machine has 128 mb Ram for graphics but
> it is shared with system Ram, hence it effectively has 384 MB of system
> ram on the this one. Should I expect any difference for 3d gaming between
> the 2 bearing this in mind?

Again, first paragraph...

Happy to help,