Re: Palm Database Conversions

David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2004 16:18:51 +0100, "Roy S Schestowitz"
> <sch-at-danielsorogon-dot-com@use-address-before-at.com> was
> understood to have stated the following:
>
>>I would like to convert my Palm archives and Palm memos into some open
>>format which is easily readable and can be imported. Has anybody had any
>>experience with this? Any references to a WWW source or a tool that will
>>do the job?
>
> I save Palm memos to text files. Fire up the Palm desktop, select
> multiple memos (or all in the category), and select "Copy" or "Cut"
> from the edit menu. In NotePad or whatever your plain text editor of
> choice is, do a "Paste", and save the results. I do a "Copy" from the
> Palm desktop, and after having saved the text file, turn around and do
> a "Cut" on the same selection, to make sure information isn't lost if
> the Palm desktop or text editor application "belly up" during the
> process...

Thanks David. I will take your advice soon and start to export my data.

Let me just explain a bit more about what I have been looking for. I have
been interested in a file filter that can take, let us say, a datebook
archive (.dba IIRC) and produce a new file or network of files that do not
require Palm Desktop to be read. You never know if Palm Desktop will be
easily accessible in 20 years, you see? I want to take full advantage of my
data and reuse past notes where possible. Such a process must also not
involve any manual work such as cut-and-paste.