Re: AlphaImage and css backgrounds

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Nik Coughin wrote:
>
>> Damn Microsoft.  Damn them to hell with IE's complete lack of
>> support for png alpha transparency without the use of a crappy hack,
>> a crappy hack that also doesn't work on repeating CSS backgrounds.
>>
>> Please have a look at his with both IE and a real browser, if you
>> have the time:
>>
>> http://www.nrkn.com/masterpiece/
>>
>> Any ideas to make it look better in IE?
>
> Only hours ago I posted a comment on Eric Meyer's Web site about the
> solution I use to PNG in IE...
>
> http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2004/12/09/s5-11b2/#comment-2872
>
> Roy

Hi Roy,

I had a play with using binary transparency and dithering, but it looked
awful.  It's not like IE can't do alpha, I use it for foreground images all
the time, it's just so damn inflexible that I can't use it for background
images with repeats or positioning.  I'm adding an inconspicuous footer to
all of my pages now that tells IE users that they should get a real browser.