Re: Dual monitor frustration

  • Subject: Re: Dual monitor frustration
  • From: "Mr. Bill" <Nomail@thank.n.u.org>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:32:38 GMT
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:37:05 +0000, houghi wrote:

> Mr. Bill wrote:
>> I did everything I could think of to make it work.
>
> What did you do?
>
>> I reinstalled MANY times.
>> I've read on the interweb till I'm red
>
> What did you read?
>
>> The last reinstall, I changed to an NVIDIA 5600.
>> Same results as my ATI 9600 XT.
>
> What result?
>
>> Installed the NVIDIA drivers and now my flat panel is blank.
>
> Just one, or both?
>
>> Cluestick, anyone?
>
> Are you wanting info on the dual-screen problem or on the black screen
> problem?

I've read the readmes for the suse ATI driver and the ATI, ATI
driver.
I've googled and hit forums.  I read the X config in the manuals.
(SuSe 9.1 pro)

I believe I actually know less than when I started.  And that
is not good 'cause I didn't know anything to begin with  :(

Current status:
I disconnected my CRT (Synchmaster 955DF)
I'm just using my flatpanel (Synchmaster 172X)
connected to an ATI 9600 XT via the DVI port via
a DVI cable.

The Synchmaster 172x isn't in the monitor database, so
I set it to LCD 1280 x 1024 @ 60 hz.  That is the optimum
setting for this LCD anyway.

I haven't installed any video drivers.
Maybe what I want to do just can't be done.

The prop ATI driver says you can have two independent screens
that you can even run two different window managers on.

That is what I want. 2 seperate, distinct desktops.

I don't want 1 large one (xinerama).
The manual calls what I'm looking for "Traditional multihead".
on page 86 of the User's Guide.

Thanks,
Mr_Bill