Re: How to read text files on a Tungsten E?

Richard Kennaway wrote:

> I'm a complete newbie to PDAs, so the answers to these questions may be
> blindingly obvious if I knew what they were, but having read all the
> docs that came with it and clicked everything I can find, I'm no closer
> to being able to do one of the main things I bought it for.
>
> I have a text file on my desktop machine (a Mac) that I want to copy
> over to the Palm and read there.

A compact way would be to copy and paste the file contents into memopad. I
am asssuming that the file is not too large and that you don't copy files
en masse.

> I eventually twigged that I had to
> rename it with .txt on the end to get HotSync to do anything with it,
> but now what?

You can't just copy a file without associating it with an application. Most
application will not 'see' it.

> I can't find any evidence that the file even exists on
> the Palm, and it's not clear there is any software on it that can
> display it.

There is a free program called FileZ and it is useful when you want to know
which physical files reside on your handheld.

> I installed DocsToGo and WordToGo, but they don't see it.

You need to add files using the PC/Mac interface that DocsToGo provides.
Drag-and-drop should do.

> What do I need?  I also tried copying a JPEG file over, but again,
> nothing on the Palm seems to take notice of it.

I got MGI PhotoSuite among with the basic software CD. Again, you usually
need to associate files with an application (and possibly resize or
down-sample them beforehand.