Re: Need a PDA that's not a piece of Shit

Frankie wrote:

> I've had four Palms in the past 4 years and have yet to experience the joy
> of upgrading for the sake of of upgrading. I've had to replace all my
> units due to mechanical failure:
>
> - Palm 5 : Power button and up/down buttons quit working
> - M500: screen went blank one day & never came back
> - M500: just tonight it locked up for the 27th time in 2 days - and this
> time it wouldn't come back.
>
> I'm convinced these are all physical, mechanical failures of some kind
> because in each case, there was a period of degradation wherein the device
> started to fail intermittently until the time spent fucking with it (to
> recover from the latest failure)exceeded the time spent doing anything
> useful.
>
> Does anyone out there know of a PDA that won't go competely "tits up" in
> less than a year under normal daily use??? I am now officially sick of
> Palm and their products. I lie the PDA concept; it's better & easier than
> carrying a 3-ring binder everywhere. But I'm not buying any more crap.

I think it's a matter of tough luck. I have had my Palm for nearly 2 years
and here are some stats:

1) I lost information twice, I think. Once when memopad crashed (this is
rare and I was wrong not to have pressed 'done' earlier) and once due to
the mechanical fault below.

2) For a period of time there was a problem with the power button. That made
HotSync difficult to complete. The problem completely disappeared after a
week (that was 6 months ago) for no apparent reason.

3) A part of the graffiti region has lost its sensitivity.

Bear in mind that I use it on a daily basis and I dropped it on a hard floor
about half a dozen times.

Having used several walkmans, CD players, MP3 players, digital organisers
and the like in the past, Palm is top notch! Very high fidelity and no data
loss!