Re: query internal backup power Palm 125

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:41:28 -0600, Jim Anderson wrote
(in message <MPG.1bfd7c30a98e2a84989908@news.frontiernet.net>):

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:01:32 GMT, tom koehler had this to say...
>

>> Okay, I probably don't fit the usual image of a PDA user - I'm still using
>> 125 which suits me fine. That said, I'm having a problem when it is time
>> change batteries. When the unit was new, I could change batteries with no
>> loss of anything, just do it. Now, however, when it is time to change
>> batteries (always away from home) I have to reset the darn thing and start
>> all over. I now put all the stuff I don't want to lose on my expansion
>> chip.
>> I can live with this solution, but I'd like to solve the puzzle which
>> remains
>> - what's up with the internal backup power? Is it a defunct capacitor or
>> is
>> it a defunct battery? (I know the logically correct answer is "yes" unless
>> there is a third option, but am looking for a clue, here, folks)
>> Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.
>> tom k.
>>

> It is a well known problem, the capacitor supplies a charge to RAM for a
> short time when changing batteries. This cap fails and you lose RAM
> contents. Some claim that when the capacitor fails it can create a short
> circuit that can drain the batteries very quickly.

your response is helpful. As far as generic capaccitor failure goes, it can
either open-circuit, or it can short-circuit, or it can degrade in some way
so as to reduce its capacitance. i will investigate. Thanks.
tom k.

--
I will find a way or make one.
(Most likely from Hannibal, crossing the Alps with his elephants