Re: Urgent - Pls help - need to buy a handheld

  • Subject: Re: Urgent - Pls help - need to buy a handheld
  • From: Ray Ingles <sorceror@dmc22317.local>
  • Date: 26 Nov 2004 07:51:43 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
In article <856e66ed.0411251028.35d6e3d9@posting.google.com>, Anna Baum wrote:
> I will have about a 1000 people's contact info.

 This is no problem at all. I think even the original, decade-old
Palm Pilot would do that. The nice thing is that if you have this
information on a computer, you can 'sync' it over to the Palm
without having to re-enter it.

> - possibly voice recognition too

 The only handheld I ever heard like that that was a prototype done
by IBM with special hardware. Real voice recognition takes a huge
amount of processing power. Now, many handhelds have voice *recorders*
that you can use to record quick notes for yourself...

> I should be able to retrieve the inputed info easily.
> (hopefuly like a mini search engine)

 Again, just what a Palm was designed for. For your needs, I'd get a
used Palm off of eBay or something. The cheapest *new* Palm lists at
$99, and a Palm IIIxe on eBay looks to be $20-$40.

--
 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                       (313) 227-2317

 "COBOL is here for the long run... [O]n the Starship Enterprise
 make no mistake, the program that calculates their pay will be
              written in COBOL..." - Jerome Jahnke