Re: accessibility and usability

Barbara de Zoete wrote:

> [F'up set to ciwas-d]
>
> I am getting more and more confused as to the meaning of the words
> 'accessibility' and 'usability' *in the context of the world wide web*.
> What do these two words mean? How do they differ from one another? Where
> does the meaning overlap, if it does? Where do they perhaps conflict with
> one another, if they do?
>
> Can anyone please explain to someone who is not native speaking, nor
> fluent in English?

Accessibility is concerned with design that accommodates the need of
disabled people (usually). For example, if you are near-sighted or blind
(and hence _listen_ to Web pages), you want the page to have properties
that make it friendly to you.

Accessibility is a subset of usability, I suppose. It is one aspect that
makes a page easier to _use_, by all audiences. This leads to the
definition of 'usability'. Usability can be explained in terms of ease of
navigation (How do I get to...), good context (where am I inside the Web
site?), etc.

I know examples can help...

I hope this helps,

Roy Schestowitz