Re: Script to Assign Accesskeys

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <roy-at-schestowitz-dot-com@use-address-before-at.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know if there is a scripts (essentially an HTML file
>> filter) that will allocate accesskeys to all the links n the input
>> page?
>
> Well, it would take a few minutes to write such a script. Doing it in a
> useful way would be _much_ more complicated.
>
> But most importantly: Most accessibility experts these days think that
> accesskeys are usually _hostile_ to accessibility, hostile to people who
> need to use keyboard controls when browsing Web pages. Instead of helping
> anyone, accesskey attributes interfere with the key assignments that
> people are used to. Moreover, even in situations where this can be
> avoided, the assignments are basically hidden from the user, and attempts
> to show or speak them will generally result in a confusion.
>
> For more info see
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/accesskey.html
> (which I wrote when I was more optimistic, but see the notes near the
> end, describing the problems).

Thanks Jukka.

I think I browsed that very same page some hours ago. I also will consider
writing a program that scans all <A> tags and adds an accesskey. It then
also needs to underline characters, having resolved which choices to make
for each links.

...it's unlikely that I will find time to start this project, but will
people at least be interested?

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com