Schestowitz.com Home

Re: Hard Drive Problem on Sony VAIO VX71P

S wrote:

> I have had my Sony VAIO PCG-VX71P for almost 3 years. Yesterday, it make a
> loud click - the kind of sound that would only come from a hard drive. The
> computer froze and the hard drive light was on steady (no activity). I had
> to hold down the power button to switch it off. I turned it back on and it
> booted fine.
>
> Just now, the same thing happened. I switched it off and turned it back
> on. As it was attempting to boot, it clicked a few more times, then all
> activity stopped. I tried again and I've managed to get back into Windows.
>
> I think it's pretty obvious that the hard drive is on its way out. Why so
> soon though? I've only had it a few years.
>
> Anyway, can anyone make any recommendations of what to replace it with? I
> believe it has a 30GB 4200rpm at present.
>
> Many thanks.

It sounds like your hard drive will be dead soon, or at least become too
burdensome. The clicks are not very unusual from my experience. I have had
3 different hard drives in my Presario and the clicking sometimes starts
before a hard drive gets completely unusable.

Make back-ups and get a new drive with faster RPM and whatever volume you
need until you dump this laptop.

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com