Re: "Do you believe in God?"

Kingsley Matthews wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 21:33:27 +0000, "Newton's Cat"
> <flyingpussy@antigravity.com> wrote:
>

>>Question:
>>
>>"Do you believe in God?"
>>
>>Answer:
>>
>>"Yes"
>>
>>Response:
>>
>>"Why should I believe you?"
>>
>>The person who claims to believe in God then has to provide proof not that
>>God exists but proof that they genuinely believe in the existence of God.
>>Most "believers" challenged in this way tend to become annoyed, even
>>angry, at the suggestion that their declared belief might be a lie.
>>
>>Then one can follow up with:
>>
>>"Do you think that God is happy with your behaviour?"
>>
> Whenever I have challenged people with similar questions, I had the
> answer, 'I just know'.  Difficult to answer that when relying on
> rationality.

It is an easy answer to come up with. After all, when mummy and daddy talk
about father Christmas, everybody 'just knows' he exists.

Challenging the existence of father Christmas is different than that of God.
People are _afraid_ to doubt God's existence. Why? Because children are
taught and made aware that it's forbidden.

What is the solution? For parents and teachers to let children develop an
initial belief in God _if they wish_.

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com