Re: (OT) Source for Shareable Graphics

  • Subject: Re: (OT) Source for Shareable Graphics
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 17:37:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Fat Sam wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> I am sorry about this off-topic question, but I know many of you
>> Webmasters have your sources for photos to be used in site/s.
>>
>> The popular stock.xchng, which I am sure some of you use, has been down
>> for almost a week and a long time of Web searching did not raise an
>> answer or even a clue. Are there any sites that offer graphics and photo
>> stocks? Under a Creative Commons Licence even?
>>
>> Roy
>
> I have an extensive library of royalty-free photo collection
> CDRoms....You know the sort....You find them on the bargain software
> carousel in your local PCWorld, or budget bookstore, or places like
> that....They normally have labels that read "10,000 photographic
> images", and cost about £10 each....
> I have dozens of these, and I'm still collecting them....They're cheap
> enough to just pick up as and when you find them, and the resolution is
> plenty good enough for web work....
> I find them to be a highly valuable resource....

A friend of mine buys those and occasionally sends me pictures that he wants
added to his site. These are quite valuable.

However (just to mention a con), these are slow to search, insert into the
drive (if not put on the hard drive, in which case they take up volume) and
are not always labelled for a quick and cunning search. With stock.xchng I
follow a link from my portal, type in a keywork and *bang*, it's there.

I really, really, /really/ hope that Travis is right. I can see myself
paying stock.xchng for the service, but I see they stick to AdSense.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com