Re: Palm Rants

  • Subject: Re: Palm Rants
  • From: Ray Ingles <sorceror@dmc22317.local>
  • Date: 8 Apr 2005 09:55:15 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
In article <d34nk7$1nvu$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> I am a loyal Palm user, but some things I just cannot understand.

 The first Palm had 128K (yes 1/8 of a MB) of RAM. Most of the design
decisions you don't like trace directly to that limitation.

 I agree that things could have - and should have - been designed to
grow into new functionality more gracefully. But getting something useful
*at all* in that amount of RAM is a minor miracle of its own. :->

> 1. Undo
> 2. Clipboard
> 3. Memopad

 There are hacks and third-party apps that implement all of the features
you want. Now, should Palm have incorporated this stuff themselves?
Sure. Should they have designed things so that they could grow without
painful compromize? Absolutley.

 But they did get a lot of things very right, and I still prefer my
Palm to any other handheld I've run across.

--
 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                (313) 227-2317

   "History never repeats itself, but it often rhymes."
                    - Mark Twain