Waking Up Numb

  • Subject: Waking Up Numb
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:28:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.support.sleep-disorder
I was about 16 when I initially found out that I was able to wake up while
my body remained, in some sense, asleep. The experience was scary at the
time, though ever since it has been somewhat humorous.

Voluntary 'reproduction' of this situation is hard and this recurs maybe
once a year or less. I presume it is possible owing to the fact that I feel
rather Conscious while asleep.

Allow me to explain this is more detail. I never found an explanation and
nothing relevant comes up in search engines.

I sometimes decide that I want to wake up, knowing that I am asleep. It
might take a few seconds for my body to obey my brain. However, I was
sometimes able to open up my eyes, fully aware of my environment, and yet,
I was not able to talk or move. A really great effort could 'snap' me out
of this state, but going back to sleep was the easier solution.

Can somebody please explain? Should I provide more information? I do not
consider this a problem, but I long for an explanation as I am very
curious.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com