Re: Windows Filesystem is Broken

  • Subject: Re: Windows Filesystem is Broken
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 05:01:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.win2000
Marcus Houlden wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:49:37 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote the following to uk.comp.os.win2000:
>
>> Arguably, the most  fundamental part of an operating system is file
>> handling. Windows beyrays me constantly and I seek solutions and
>> justification/defence in the name of Windows.
>>
>> First of all, on a Windows 98 laptop, I was able to copy a file with one
>> unicode character within. I am unable to delete it though; scandisk
>> cannot help either. In Windows 2000 (a different machine), I have a
>> filename whose path is deep (long) and, again, I am unable to erase it
>> and this causes a great deal of clutter.
>
> Use the DOS or command prompt to sort both those out. For the first one,
> open a DOS prompt in the directory where the offending file is (use CD to
> get there) and use DEL with wildcards to delete the file, something like
>
> DEL "unicode character*.*"

Good idea. I'll try that.

> The first * should be just before the unicode character. Any file or
> directory names containing spaces should be surrounded by quote marks,
> especially on Win98.
>
> For the second one, same again. Change to the directory using CD, one
> directory at a time, and then DEL <filename> to get rid of the file. Move
> back up the tree with CD .. and use RD <directory name> to get rid of the
> directory (if that's what you want to do).

Right again. I never thought DOS can handle something that the GUI cannot.

>> More annoyingly, I virtually spent 3 days trying to make a backup from
>> one Windows machine to another. It turned out that transfer protocols do
>> not cater for paths exceeding a certain size (what the heck??). This
>> never ever happened on old distributions of Linux that I use.
>
> Create a share on the offending directory, so on the other machine it will
> appear as SHARE_NAME on COMPUTER and copy across that way. Either that or
> burn the files to CD or DVD.
>
> mh.

Thanks for the help. All the solutions are hacks or work-arounds, which
proves to me that Windows is deficient.

Roy

UPDATE:

- Just tried the first tip... it did not work. Not only does Windows display
an odd filename, but it also 'thinks' it's a directory so wildcards won't
work.

- I haven't tried the second one yet.

- As for the third, I zipped up the 'long directories' shortly after writing
the original message. *sigh*

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com