Re: palm turns on when sd card is inserted

  • Subject: Re: palm turns on when sd card is inserted
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:22:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
chado:

>Hello.  I have a tungsten T5 and everytime I put my 1 gig sandisk sd
>card back in my palm turns on.  This is very annoying and I am just
>wondering if there is any way to turn this feature off.  Any question
>just reply

Ric:

I'm very new to the Palm OS and certainly no expert, but if my Treo
crashed and was locked up, I'd be grateful that inserting the SD card
(with my backup program) turned the device on.

PaddyG:

> If a device locked up such that it didn't respond to pressing any of
> the hard buttons or the reset, it's highly unlikely it would respond to
> having a card inserted.
>
> I'd be interested to know why the OP finds it annoying that it turns
> on. Presumably you're present when the card is inserted (!), so how
> hard is it to turn the unit off again? If the annoyance was that it
> switched away from your current application, I'd understand.
>
> - PG

I very much agree with the OP. I used to experience the exact same problem
when I was using my M130. This happened when:

-My PDA was slow (particularly in reading the card contents).

-The card was filled with many files, e.g. a collection of photos.

As a result, card insertion slowed down any access to the launcher (even
though it shouldn't have). By default, it was left loose in the side
compartment.

I have never found a real solution, but it seems as if OS 5.0, which I now
use on a Tungsten, does not suffer from this flaw. I also keep a small
number of applications on my SD card so much of the /quantity/ is in the
internal memory. It is not a solution, but a suggestion.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com