Re: Best English dictionary?

  • Subject: Re: Best English dictionary?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 07:53:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Andrew Wong wrote:

> Russell E. Owen wrote:
>> I've been evaluating American English dictionaries on the Palm and am
>> hoping I missed one. I'm looking for a replacement for a desktop
>> dictionary, thus I really want:
>> - Comprehensive word list
>> - Thorough definitions
>> - Easy cross-referencing (can quickly look up a word in a definition)
>> - Easy to use pronunciation guide (preferably with speech)
>> And would also prefer to have:
>> - Crossword search
>> - Word derivations
>> - Synonyms
>>
>> What I've found so far:
>> [snipped]
>>
>> Anything I've missed? I'm strongly tempted to go with the Concise
>> Oxford/DEPReader but am hoping I may have missed an even better choice
>> (e.g. with speech or at least on-line help for the pronunciation
>> symbols).
>

> My choice would be the Concise Oxford English Dictionary and
> MSDict Viewer 6 from Mobile Systems. I thought you were looking
> for an American English dictionary, yet you're considering Oxford
> dictionaries? Anyway, let me add to your list:
>
> Concise Oxford English Dictionary and MSDict Viewer 6
> Goods:
> - Excellent word list, definitions, cross references, derivations
> - Good searching and filtering
> - IPA pronunciation guide (a separate entry, but you can easily
>   jump to it and then return to your original word definition)
> - Screen layout fairly good (though I don't know how it compares
>   to A-Lex or DEPReader)
> - Can look up words from other apps
> Bads:
> - Expensive (US$40; a hardback one costs half that from Amazon)
> - No speech
> - No crossword search
> - No synonyms
> - I'm not sure about this, but I don't think tables in the paper
>   dictionary are included at all

You can also get a free one which is decent:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/educational/noahliteenglishdictionary.shtml

It can be bound with 3 packages containing varying amounts of data (words).

-The largest data package (dictionary file to distinguish from the
executable) is quite comprehensive indeed.
-I rarely fail to find something that is not jargon or very arcane.
-The definitions are perhaps narrow, but they convery the main ideas.
-No pronunciation guide or voice.
-Synonyms are available to some extent.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com