Re: zire 31 and Tungsten E

  • Subject: Re: zire 31 and Tungsten E
  • From: AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 06:17:56 GMT
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

>M. Smile wrote:
>> Does a battery charge last longer with a Zire 31 than with a Tungsten E?

>I imagine that the Tungsten E has got higher battery capacity

The TE has an 840 mAh battery while the Z31 has a 900mAh battery.

>> I would assume so because of the smaller STN LCD

The Z31's smaller screen and lower screen resolution would likely take less
power than the TE's larger screen and high resolution.

>> but... there is the faster processor!!!

The TE's 126 MHz vs the Z31's 200MHz? If you use apps that run the processor at
idle most of the time (PIMs, ebook, word processing, ect) there probably won't
be much difference. However if you're a heavy processor user (games, video, ect)
there may be some difference. But the difference may not be that great.
Processor current draw is small compared to the heavy power using screen. That's
why you can get such good battery life playing mp3 music. Even though the
processor is working hard, the current sucking screen is off.

My *guess* is that under normal use the Z31 will probably have the better
battery life, mainly from the slightly bigger battery and smaller screen (both
in resolution and backlight).