Re: Content Exchange (?)

  • Subject: Re: Content Exchange (?)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:11:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Big Bill wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:28:35 GMT, "Mark Shell"
> <markashell@REMOVEearthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Someone suggested (for a fee) that I place "a one page advertising" on my
>>website: "We will create a page with some information about the product
>>[language learning courses] and add some pictures. Then we will send it to
>>you and you put it on your site."
>>
>>Is this the so called content exchange (as opposed to link exchange?).
>>What
>>are the benefits for the advertiser (comparing to a link exchange)?  Any
>>benefits for me?  Any dangers in doing this? -- Thanks.
>
> Is it a subject related to your site? If so then the content probably
> wouldn't hurt. Nor would the link in Hilltop hub/authority terms.
> Other factors would presumably be determined by where you put it on
> your site and what authority you have over that, and vice versa.

I think you're playing with fire when you choose to do this. You dilute your
PageRank and make maintenance a pain, although you can set up a subsite
with FTP access for the content 'partner'.

In general, you will /have/ to create some linkage between both sites (at
one level or another). Will this linkage be any better than a link exchange
(which I am against on general)? I think not. In fact, you are spreading
links among two separate sources, which will result in penalties and lower
ranks due to fewer incoming links to each.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com