Re: Cheapest Palm OS based unit?

  • Subject: Re: Cheapest Palm OS based unit?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 03:02:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
[Dave]:

> I have a Garmin iQue 3600 and I am doing a bit of travelling in the
> near future. Some of the Asian countries I'll be in make me nervous
> about taking along the iQue so I thought about getting a cheapie and
> just use it for the addresses, email passwords etc and stuff I have on
> it.
>
> I will not need to run any particular apps other than the normal
> address book, memo etc. If it gets ripped off it is not that big a
> deal.
>
> Suggestions please and also where to buy at the best rates.

[Penster]:

>> Buy a Palm 105 off ebay. They run off 2 AAA batteries so no
>> recharging and are cheap as chips.
>> Penster

[Bill]:

> Cheap unless it has a bad capacitor and looses everything in memory when
> you
> change the batteries.  Palm has a lawsuit against them for the m100, m105,
> and m125 models over this issue.

I used an M130, which is a /colour/ PDA that has been rather reliable for
over 2 years.

Here are places for you to start looking:

-UK:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/m130_W0QQcatrefZC3QQfclZ4QQfromZR2

Around GBP 5+ (with the usual catches)

-US:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/m130_W0QQcatrefZC3QQfclZ4QQfromZR2

Seems to go for about USD 50.

Be sure to ask (contact seller) about the condition of the Graffiti region,
the state of the power button and the digitizer. There are M130 weaknesses
that affected me.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com