Re: Google, MSN... and Linux

  • Subject: Re: Google, MSN... and Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:02:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Els wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> They (Google) already have the technology and news as feeds is the proof.
>> They
>> probably want people to continue checking SERP's and have adverts at the
>> top or right-hand-side of the SERP's.
>
> Makes sense.
>
>> By providing feeds, they would 'kill'
>> some Web traffic and they don't appear to have feeds in ads yet.
>
> Or even ads in feeds ;-)

I spent a few seconds trying to defend my typo... so here are my lame
excuses:

1) Some adverts will promote aggregators software/tools and will provide
sample feeds.

2) Google will deliver a little 'RSS' icon at the side of the SERP. If you
really, _really_ want to read some adverts, you can subscribe the feeds and
enjoy yourself on a cold winter's day.

>> They are patenting it at the moment IIRC.
>>
>>> MSN does that. You can get an RSS feed on any search term, and when
>>> it's in the SERPs you get a new item in the feed.
>>
>> I know. I have done that for many months, but never clicked through for
>> obvious reasons.
>
> I'll probably come off as lacking some kind of intelligence, but which
> obvious reasons? It's not like you're clicking on ads when you click
> on those feed items?

I am thinking about target sites who will absorb this illusion that MSN are
gaining strength. I already feel guilty about increasing MSN's brag-about
statistics as regards total number of requests for SERP's.

>> I am waiting for Google to follow suit. A leader is less
>> likely to bend than the tenacious monkey.
>
> Wondering which of the two you'd say is the leader. Do leaders follow
> suit? Or is Google a tenacious monkey? :-)

Good point. I had the search engines market in mind, not the O/S. Either
way:

1) Microsoft offer lots of wasted traffic

2) Linux offers free software

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com