Re: Setting up aliases outside .bashrc

  • Subject: Re: Setting up aliases outside .bashrc
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:41:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Tristan Miller wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> In article <3jmkpdFqqcdiU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Arne Schmitz wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz schrieb:
>>
>>> Is there some scope
>>> limitation? Do they expire when scripts apart from .bashrc end?
>>
>> You have to source the script, not execute it from .bashrc. Sourcing is
>> done like this:
>>
>>         . yourscript.sh
>>
>> Without the leading tab, of course.
>
> Or, more plainly for novice shell programmers, with the source command:
>
>         source yourscript.sh
>
> Regards,
> Tristan

Thanks Tristan,

I have had .bashrc contain:

. /home/roy/Main/Programs/Scripts/Definitions/bashrc

ever since the last bunch of suggestions were made. This makes my life
easier because I can centralise everything under ~/Main where most (if not
all) personal files go, even E-mail and JRE programs like Thunderbird,
Firefox, and RSSOwl. It suppose it makes things more easily portable.