Re: Alexa 'Rank'

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Paul Burke wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:24:14 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Agreed. Amazon.com have been extremely unpopular recently because
>>> of their ridiculous patents.

>>> Traffic rankings rarely work (see my previous post on the topic)
>>> and to get contact information (even telephone number), use
>>> whois.net.
>>
>> which is why I said "useful information ? Rubbish."

>>> Not from what I have seen. I came across sites that get merely any
>>> traffic, but get good Alexa ranks due to a statistical sample
>>> that's too darn small.
>>

>> So you agree with what I said ........ his statement was rubbish.

>>> Such as http://validator.w3.org/checklink which is superior to all
>>> others I have come across and is not commercial.
>>
>> Agreed. Hence you don't need a spyware program to do the same thing.

>>> Who told you that? Any site can be submitted to Alexa. I know
>>> because I did this 3 times and the process was automatic. It is not
>>> a moderated directory. It gives it no credibility.
>>
>> Which is why I said Rubbish. Complete tosh.
>> You should direct these to Brijesh as he is the one thinking
>> otherwise.
>

> It was addressed at that earlier message, but I wanted the arguments
> to be boosted by your message too.
>
> Alexa is okay as a very /rough/ indicator of traffic in sites, but it
> tends to benefit amateurish sites like yahoo.com (number 1 among
> Alexa sites the last time I checked) and not technical sites whose
> visitors laugh at the very thought of installing the Alexa toolbar.
>
> Alexa ranks would motivate a whole new SEO 'creature' which is
> attracting visitors to feebie content like Windows icons and Britney
> Spears pictures. Good sites can easily 'inject' a lot of PageRank
> into such pages and have hordes of Alexa-zombied enter their sites.
>

>>> The bottom line is that I view Alexa rank, but I also know how
>>> rubbish so I take everything with a pinch of salt.
>>
>> Exactly.

I tried the Alexa toolbar and and traffic rank etc.  The results are so
noisy as to be meaningless.  I suspect that you need to be in the top 5000
sites or so before the sampling becomes meaningful.   Average daily access
by me alone is sufficient to put me in the top 100,000.  If I go on holiday
or give the internet a miss for a week, I drop off the screens. Still, it
gives an amusing traffic graph to put on your site.

I had hoped that by giving away free personalised Alexa toolbars might
increase my repeat visits but the effect is small. People install the Alexa
toolbar for a few weeks and then delete it - probably in favour of the
Google toolbar.  I think several hundred times as many people come back from
using "favourites" - but it is nice, none the less, to think of your own
logo (70*21 pixels) on display on the toolbars of a few PCs out there.

Best regards, Eric.