Re: new site - editor recommendations please!

  • Subject: Re: new site - editor recommendations please!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:02:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
On Sunday 21 August 2005 09:29, joe.woods@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm planning on creating a small review website in my spare time. I
> haven't done any site design for about 10 years, back in the days of
> static html pages done in notepad!
>
> I'm not a design type person whatsoever, I'd just like to be able to
> sit down every evening, type up some reviews, upload a few photos, not
> have to get involved with any design or layout or technical issues.
>
> My ultimate aim is to make the site self sufficient. I want to set up
> the bare bones, then users can add to the content themselves. Nothing
> too fancy, perhaps something like I set up the initial review, then
> others can add comments and their own reviews and upload their own
> photos perhaps.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good tool that I should use for all this?
> Perhaps Dreamweaver? And what methods I should use? Bearing in mind I'd
> like to add user-interaction facilities. I'd like to get things right
> from the start, so I don't have to migrate to a different tool half way
> through the project, or change to a different language.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Joe Woods

Hi Joe,

The generation of editors to follow bare-bone HTML was WYSIWYG packages, as
controversial and appalling as they may be, but at present, content
management packages (CMS) seem like the only way to go.

I wrote about packages that I know and/or have experience with of a couple
of week ago <
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/05/open-source-content-management-systems/
>, but let me refer to your requirements and highlight what I think would
suit you best.

If you write reviews, you probably need the invlusion of article-writing
that is not time-dependant. PHP-Nuke (see URL's in item above) does that
fairly well, but Drupal can be considered as well. If you upload some
photos to serve as a gallery rather than accompany an article, then
consider Gallery < http://gallery.sourceforge.net/ >. It is rather mature
and the amazing version 2 is now in Release Condidate stage.

If you want users to add content themselves, e.g. submit items for you to
approve, then PHP-Nuke may serve you well. PHP-Nuke also has threaded
comments support, but its level of complexity can be daunting. If you want
something that is simple to use, see WordPress. Version 1.6 will have a
WYSIWYG editor that produces top-notch HTML code.

If you use Gallery, users who are logged in can add photos. It's worth
mentioning that all the tools that I mentioned are free and reliable.

Hope it helps,