Re: Diffing between 2 images.

_____/ On Tuesday 23 August 2005 09:16, [vjasmineb] wrote : \_____

> I have been assigned a "simple problem" ,

It is as simple as you choose to perceive it. The problem you describe can
become very complex.

> How to compute the difference between 2 images
> and how to efficiently encode the difference(for
> instance, when the images are the same).

Apart from the naive absolute difference per pixel, you can use the shuffle
distance between images, Hausdorff distance or tangential distance.

To encode difference, look into wavelets or minimum description length
(MDL), based on Shannon's entropy.

> Is this a well researched subject?

It seems so.

> Is there scope for further research in this subject?

It is a very fundamental problem that's broad in terms of applicability.
Tracking, modeling and face recognition are just a few that spring to mind.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com