Re: Going To University? Leave Linux Home! It's Not Supported!

_____/ On Thursday 25 August 2005 02:58, [Proteus] wrote : \_____

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:19:24 -0700, Josh wrote:
>> So why should I even try to use Linux? I asked the administrator about
>> Linux support and was told it is not supported and that others who have
>> tried using it have had nothing but troubles.
>
> You should use Winblows, it suits your needs. Linux is for creative minds
> who want freedom, who want to spend their money on beer and not give it
> away to Microsoft and commercial software.

I'll drink to that.

> Some colleges user linux, many
> software programs for WIndows  can and do run on Linux with the use of
> Wine, WineX, Cedega, etc.  I am a college professor, I teach all online
> now, and my college campus virtual university works perfectly with Linux.

Much of the teaching material is moves on-line so it is delivered via open
protocols rather than native applications as it used to be. So, the future
looks bright.

Also see: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/23/tech/main791462.shtml

>> Linux and college?
>> Leave Linux home and concentrate on education. So like my last thread
>> attack me, shoot at me, do everything but admit Linux is just not as
>> widespread as you may think it is. In fact, in speaking with my friends,
>> their schools don't support Linux either, except maybe running the school
>> website which doesn't do a pre-law student much good.
>> Josh

Linux will not hinder your education, especially if pre-law studies are in
question. The software which needs to be used is usually smaller in extent.
There is no document type that you will be unable to use under Linux. You
will not need to install anything either.

If you need to process documents and do assignments, I recommend Lyx <
http://lyx.org >, which by the way, is cross-platform (including file
formats).

Roy S. Schestowitz        "Did anyone see my lost carrier?"
http://Schestowitz.com