Re: Linux Makes it to the NASDAQ-100 Index with Red Hat

  • Subject: Re: Linux Makes it to the NASDAQ-100 Index with Red Hat
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:41:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Roy Culley] on Monday 12 December 2005 08:41 \__

> begin  risky.vbs
> <grjv63-kha.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Roy Culley <rgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/20051211105521477
>>>
>>>     The following 12 issues will be added to the NASDAQ-100 Index:
>>>     Google Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG), NII Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:NIHD) ,
>>>     Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ:EXPE) , Patterson-UTI Energy, Inc
>>>     (NASDAQ:PTEN) , NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ:NVDA) , Urban
>>>     Outfitters, Inc. (NASDAQ:URBN) , Cadence Design Systems,
>>>     Inc. (NASDAQ:CDNS) , Activision, Inc. (NASDAQ:ATVI) , RedHat,
>>>     Inc. (NASDAQ:RHAT), Monster Worldwide, Inc. (NASDAQ:MNST) ,
>>>     CheckFree Corporation (NASDAQ:CKFR) , and Discovery Holding
>>>     Company (NASDAQ:DISCA).
>>>
>>> Hmm, how is it possible that any company can make money based on OSS
>>> far less than being included in the NASDAQ-100?
>>
>> That's hitting the big time, I think.  It would be interesting to
>> examine their business to determine exactly what they're making
>> money on, but in general, it has to be support related...
>
> We had to buy a couple of RHES licenses about a year ago as it was
> required for support of a product we use. As the systems were multi-
> cpu it cost about SFr.3,500 (about 1,500 quid) each. As I never needed
> any RH support that was money for nothing. Since then the product is
> now supported under FC3 so I don't use RHES any more.

I  hear quite often about Red Hat in the context of Linux support. QT  and
Novell  likewise.  They prosper owing to the availability of OSS, which  I
think  is wonderful. Canonical offer similar services, but with such a re-
aliable  and  user-friendly distribution, I wouldn't be surprised if  they
rarely get an enquiry. They have excellent support forums.